Photo above is JLP Leader, Andrew Holness. Photo courtesy of JLP.
KINGSTON, Jamaica CMC – The main opposition Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) refuted media reports, yesterday, that its political leader, Andrew Holness, is being investigated by state agencies.
“The JLP would like to make it clear that there is no investigation into the affairs of Mr. Holness and that he is current with all his statutory and fiduciary reports, as mandated by law,” said a JLP statement.
JLP General Secretary, Dr. Horace Chang, said, the party is “very surprised by that news report, and hopes that the station has not been consumed by the web of lies being spun by the PNP (People’s National Party).
Chang said, he is concerned that “such an erroneous story could have passed the editors” at a prominent radio station here, adding, “we are asking that it be withdrawn, as we take the reputation of our leader and his family as a serious matter”.
The release noted, that lawyers for the JLP are probing all statements made publicly and will take appropriate action in short order.
Meanwhile, PNP General Secretary, Paul Burke, has also dismissed JLP statements, that the ruling party is being provided with information on Holness, by disgruntled JLP members.
Burke said, the PNP had been receiving information since the JLP leadership race in November 2013, between Holness and Audley Shaw.
The PNP has said, it will not participate in a leadership debate scheduled for February 20, until Holness provides information, regarding the source of funding for a new multi-million dollar home he is now building.