As we plan now for summer trips and vacations, there are a number of ways to prepare in advance. Frequent travellers have learned from experience and many of them are happy to offer guidance on aspects like researching, safety and fun so we can all travel smarter. Yola Marshall, the regional director with InterContinental Hotels Group, shares her top travel hacks to make your journey smoother:
• Pack like a flight attendant: roll your clothes to save space and prevent wrinkles.
• Place tea bags in your shoes to keep them, and the other contents of your suitcase, smelling fresh.
• Take a photo or scan your passport and ID then email it to yourself. If the original goes missing you’ll have a backup copy. It’s also helpful to have a printed photocopy on hand.
• Book direct with your hotel so you can ask about a “best price guarantee” – and look for hotels that offer a rewards club program to help you save even more.
• Invest in a good pair of walking shoes and don’t bring your whole wallet with you.
• Make sure your carry-on luggage meets size requirements.
• Read up on destination blogs before your trip. Your hotel concierge will also have a wealth of suggestions for things to see and do.
• Don’t forget to call your credit card company to tell them of your travel plans. If you don’t, transactions on your card may look suspicious. This measure will prevent your account from being locked while you’re abroad.