Home / International News / Trinidad PM Announces Anti-corruption Case Against Former Government Officials
Trinidad PM Announces Anti-corruption Case Against Former Government Officials

Prime Minister, Dr. Keith Rowley.

Trinidad PM Announces Anti-corruption Case Against Former Government Officials

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, November 4, 2016 (CMC) – The Trinidad and Tobago government says it has filed its first anti-corruption case against former officials of the former People’s Partnership government that was removed from office in the September 7 general elections last year.

Prime Minister, Dr. Keith Rowley, speaking to reporters after the weekly Cabinet meeting, yesterday, said that the case is against persons “who have improperly removed public monies for their own benefit through conspiracies”.

“The government will make the public’s claim in the court and the matters will be adjudicated there, and those against whom the allegations are made will defend themselves there,” Rowley said.

While Rowley did not name the persons or state institution involved in the matter, Attorney General, Faris Al Rawi, said that the matter involves nine former government officials and public officers from the last administration.

Al Rawi said the matter involved 10 months of continuous work, in keeping the commitment that the People’s National Movement (PNM) gave when it campaigned for the general election.

“… I can confirm that this is certainly action relative to areas of supervision by the last government. We have an obligation to safeguard the public purse and to prosecute action where it is advisable to do that, and we are certainly going to do that with fairness and propriety about the process,” he added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll To Top