Being prepared is your best defence against a fire in your home, especially during the Holiday Season. Minimize your family’s risk of fire-related injury by following these safety tips.
Smoke detectors save lives. It is important to put smoke detectors in the right places in your home. You should also test them regularly to make sure that they work properly.
- Install smoke detectors outside each bedroom and sleeping area, and on each level of your home, including the basement.
- Read and follow every step of the manufacturer’s directions when you install your smoke detectors.
- Test your smoke detectors every month to make sure that they are working properly.
- Follow the manufacturer’s directions for cleaning your smoke detectors.
- Change the batteries as often as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Replace any smoke detector that is more than ten years old.
Power cord safety
- Keep cords for electrical appliances, such as deep fryers, kettles, steam irons and toasters, out of the reach of children. They can be hurt or burned if they pull an appliance off a counter.
- Keep cords a safe distance from heat and water sources.
- Make sure that the proper indoor and outdoor cords are used for electrical products.
- Discard or replace worn and/or distressed cords and plugs on any electrical product. Frayed/damaged lamp cords are a fire and shock hazard.
- Read the directions to see if it is safe to use an extension cord or power bar with your electrical product.
Lighters and Matches
Children who have access to lighters and matches risk causing fires that could lead to injuries and death. You can do the following to reduce the risk to you and your family.
- Keep lighters and matches out of the sight and reach of children at all times.
- Teach children about the dangers of lighters and matches.
- Check under beds and in closets for burnt matches. Burnt matches may be evidence that your child is playing with fire.
- Keep in mind that:
- not all lighters are child-resistant
- not all child-resistant lighters are child-proof
- lighters that look like toys are appealing to children
Candles can be a serious fire hazard if not used properly. Some candles also have design flaws that increase the risk of fire.
- Extinguish all candles before going to bed or leaving the room. Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Do not burn candles on or near anything that can catch fire (like curtains, bedding, flammable decorations, and clothing).
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets. Place burning candles somewhere they cannot be knocked over.
- Cut candle wicks short to prevent high flames.
- Use sturdy candle holders that won’t easily tip over.
For more information, visit: