By Selwyn Richards
PRIDE Cuisine Specialist
1 (12 pound) whole turkey, thawed
6 tablespoons butter, divided
4 cups warm water
3 tablespoons chicken bouillon
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped fine
2 tablespoons seasoning salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Prepare the turkey by removing the giblets and rinsing the turkey in cold water.
2. Use paper towels to dry the turkey well.
3. Separate the skin from the turkey meat on the breasts by inserting your finger and carefully lifting the skin up to make a pocket.
4. Place 3 tablespoons of butter under the skin on each side.
5. Place the oven temperature on 350 degrees F and allow the oven to preheat.
6. Place the turkey in a large roasting pan being sure the breast side is facing up.
7. Pour the water into a large mixing bowl.
8. Sprinkle in the bouillon, onion powder and parsley being sure to mix well to combine.
9. Pour the mixture over the top of the turkey.
10. Sprinkle the turkey with the seasoning salt and pepper.
11. Cover the turkey tightly with aluminum foil.
12. Bake 3 hours 30 minutes basting the turkey with the juices in the pan every 30 minutes.
13. Remove the aluminum foil and continue roasting for 45 minutes.
14. The turkey skin should be golden brown and the internal temperature of the breast meat should be 170 degrees F when the turkey is done.
15. Remove from the oven and allow the turkey to stand 30 minutes before carving.
Selwyn Richards is an award-winning master chef. He is also the President and Executive Chef at The Art of Catering Inc. and is the author of “The Art of Cooking: Soul of The Caribbean”. Chef Selwyn can be reached at: email@example.com or by phone — (905) 619-1059.