By Selwyn Richards
PRIDE Culinary Columnist
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar + 1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon + 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup butter, melted + 1/3 cup butter, do not melt
1 1/2 cups flour
3 sweet apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons water
1/3 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1. Place the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add 1 cup sugar and the 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to the eggs. Beat 3 minutes.
3. Pour in the melted butter and beat an additional 1 minute.
4. Add the flour and continue beating until the mixture becomes very smooth.
5. Place the egg whites in a separate bowl. Beat until light peaks begin to form.
6. Place the beaten egg whites into the egg yolk mixture and mix to combine well.
7. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
8. Spray a square baking pan with a nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour.
9. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan.
10. Place the apple slices on the top.
11. Put the 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon into a bowl and toss to combine.
12. Sprinkle over the top of the cake.
13. Bake 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
14. Place the brown sugar in a saucepan.
15. Pour the water in on top of the brown sugar.
16. Pour in the corn syrup and mix well.
17. Place the pan over medium low heat.
18. Cook 3 minutes, stirring continuously until the brown sugar has fully dissolved.
19. Add the butter and continue cooking 2 minutes, stirring constantly until the butter has melted.
20. Turn off the heat and add the milk to the mixture.
21. Stir to mix all together completely.
22. When the cake is done allow it cool about 10 minutes.
23. Cut the cake into squares.
24. Serve with the warm topping poured over the top of square.
Selwyn Richards is an award-winning master chef. He is also the President and Executive Chef at The Art of Catering Inc. and is the author of “The Art of Cooking: Soul of The Caribbean”.