By Chef Selwyn Richards
PRIDE Culinary Specialist
2 Tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 pound lean ground beef
4 slices mozzarella cheese
4 hamburger buns
1. Break the egg into a large mixing bowl and beat slightly.
2. Add the ketchup and stir to combine.
3. Stir in the oats until completely combined.
4. Sprinkle in the Italian seasoning, salt, garlic and onion powder and mix all together until completely incorporated.
5. Place the beef into the mixture and using your hands, mix until all the ingredients are incorporated through the beef.
6. Shape the beef mixture into 3/4 inch patties.
7. Turn on the broiler and allow it to heat up.
8. Place the burgers on a broiler pan and place them 4 inches from the heat.
9. Cook 15 minutes or until no longer pink and as well done as you like, being sure to turn once during cooking time.
10. Remove and place one slice of cheese on top of each burger.
11. Return to the broiler for 45 seconds or until cheese just begins to melt.
12. Place the burgers on the buns and serve with lettuce, tomato, pickle and your favorite condiments.
Serve with a side of broccoli. Burgers pair with plenty of side dishes!
Selwyn Richards is an award-winning master chef. He is also the President and Executive Chef at The Art of Catering Inc. and is the author of “The Art of Cooking: Soul of The Caribbean”. Chef Selwyn can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone — (905) 619-1059.