By Chef Selwyn Richards
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 can green chilies, drained and minced
4 cans white beans, undrained
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups rotisserie chicken meat, shredded
1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
1. Add olive oil, onion and garlic to large, unheated soup pot or Dutch oven.
2. Turn to medium heat and sauté onion and garlic until soft (about 10 – 15 minutes).
3. Add cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper and stir well.
4. Add green chilies, chicken broth, shredded chicken, and 2.5 cans of beans.
5. Simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, puree remaining 1.5 cans of undrained beans in blender or food processor.
7. Add to soup to thicken.
8. Simmer 5 more minutes.
9. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.
10. Serve warm with crusty French bread.
Note: If you are watching your sodium intake, drain and rinse beans thoroughly. Replace discarded liquid with an equal amount of water. Another option is to not add additional salt to the recipe.
Selwyn Richards is an award-winning master chef. He is also the President and Executive Chef at The Art of Catering Inc. and is the author of “The Art of Cooking: Soul of The Caribbean”. Chef Selwyn can be reached at: email@example.com or by phone — (905) 619-1059.