BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, April 3, 2020 (CMC) – Acting Prime Minister, Santia Bradshaw, announced that the 24-hour curfew, scheduled to be implemented, today, will come into effect at 8 pm (local time), and not 5pm, as previously stated.
According to Bradshaw, the decision to extended the time was done, following consultation with Attorney General, Dale Marshall, and stakeholders.
The extension of the curfew is in response to thousands of people, who rushed to supermarkets, today, to stock up on supplies.
Officials said the extension is to give supermarkets a chance to open at least until 5 p.m. This would then allow staff a chance to reach home by 8 p.m.
The curfew is being implemented, as the country continues to fight against the spread of the coronavirus.
The decision to increase restrictions on Barbadians was announced, less than 24 hours after the government had imposed new hours of business, and restricted movement was announced, yesterday, by Bradshaw.
Meanwhile, the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 has now risen to 51.
The acting Prime Minister confirmed, today, five new cases of the virus, and said that one person was also retested and remains positive.
It was also revealed that those who are already in isolation and having already tested positive for the virus, are being retested, every day.
If there are two consecutive negative tests, a patient is considered to have recovered from the virus.