PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad and Tobago, April 9, 2020 (CMC) – The Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the emergency situation in the twin-island republic — where it is based — and in the other jurisdictions of CARICOM, has issued a new Practice Direction, aimed at safeguarding the health and safety of Court staff and the public.
Based on this aim, the CCJ, in its new guidelines, says that after consultations with parties, only hearings that are urgent, or fit for adjudication, will be heard.
The Court stated that it will continue to deliver its reserved judgments, as and when, they are ready for delivery.
The Practice Direction, which provides guidelines to how the Court will function during this period, was implemented on April 6, and will continue to be in force, until further advised, given the current fluid environment, in which it now operates.
The Court says it remains committed to facilitating access, and where the Court agrees to hear a matter, it will be done, virtually.
In addition, “all directions, previously given or applied or provided for, by the rules for the filing of submissions or other documents, may be varied by the Court on an application, made by letter or other forms of written communication, to the Court and copied to the other parties”.
The CCJ says it also reserves the right to grant, or refuse, such applications, by letter or other forms of written communication.