GEORGETOWN, Guyana, April 14, 2020 (CMC) – A revised, vote-recount plan, prepared by GECOM Chief Elections Officer, Keith Lowenfield, is supposed to be presented to the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM), tomorrow, when the Commission meets again. It should have been submitted at the Commission’s meeting, held today.
Last week, the opposition-nominated members of the Commission presented a recount plan of their own. That plan caters for more workstations for the recount and a shorter period of 10 days, compared to the 156-day proposal, presented by Lowenfield.
Commissioner, Sase Gunraj, said he is disappointed that a final draft of the Secretariat’s plan was not presented today, when the Commission met.
He stated that information was provided on the clarifications sought, and he is hoping that tomorrow’s meeting will see that final draft presented, and also a site visit to the Arthur Chung Convention Centre, which will serve as the venue for the recount.
Government-nominated Commissioner, Vincent Alexander, said he was also expecting a final draft of the recount document to be presented, today, adding that the Secretariat sought clarification on some issues that he thought were previously addressed.
It was also revealed, today, that the Commission has formally written to the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), for it to send a team to be part of the recount process, which will be supervised by GECOM.
It’s been six weeks since the March 2 elections.