GEORGETOWN, Guyana, May 1, 2020 (CMC) – Guyana has extended the emergency coronavirus (COVID-19) measures to June 3, as the National COVID-19 Task Force (NCTF) said it remained concerned about the increasing numbers of confirmed cases, here.
The NCTF also expressed concern at the lax attitude of some citizens towards the public health orders and advisories, adding that the “extension of the emergency measures…is necessary and advisable, in order to combat the spread of COVID-19 in Guyana”.
Yesterday, Guyana recorded its ninth death, as a result of the virus that has killed more than 334,000 people and infected more than three million others, worldwide.
Public Health Minister, Volda Lawrence, said that the 67-year-old man died, Wednesday, while receiving treatment in the COVID-19 Intensive Care Unit at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC).
Health authorities said his condition had worsened, over time, because he had other underlying ailments, such as diabetes.
The country has so far recorded 82 positive cases.
NCTF said that the 12-hour curfew shall remain in full effect and that only gazetted essential services and essential workers will be permitted to operate, during the curfew period, of 6.00 pm to 6.00 am (local time).
It said that the airports shall remain closed to incoming international passengers, until June 3, and “any requests from Guyanese, who are stranded overseas, to return to Guyana, is strictly a matter of public health.
“All requests therefore, will have to be reviewed by the Ministry of Public Health, Health Emergency Operations Centre (HEOC) for guidance and advice. Requests should be sent to local overseas missions (embassies, high commissions, consulates) or directly to the NCTF and email address (to be determined).”
The NCTF said it is imploring the public to more stringently practice social distancing, adhere to the stay at home orders, and observe all public health advisories, regarding thorough hand washing and the wearing of face masks.
Meanwhile, the government has acquired the Ocean View Hotel property, through a compulsory order, and will transform it into a National Sanatorium for the treatment of COVID-19 patients and related illnesses.
“The proposed construction of a hospital, on the land, described in the order, has been declared to be a public work. This measure comes at a time, when the number of confirmed cases of the virus continues to increase,” the government said, adding that transformation work on the Ocean View hotel began, some weeks ago.