By Chef Selwyn Richards
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
Chopped pecans or walnuts
1. Place both flours into a large mixing bowl. Fold together.
2. Add the flax seed and baking powder and blend.
3. Stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Add the sugar and mix well. Be sure all the ingredients are incorporated together.
5. In a separate bowl place the 4 eggs and slightly beat with a whisk.
6. Add the vanilla and milk and stir.
7. Pour in the melted butter.
8. Add the applesauce and mix well.
9. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture.
10. Blend well so everything is moistened.
11. Heat waffle iron.
12. Pour the batter on the waffle iron and top with the nuts.
13. Cook until brown.
Selwyn Richards is an award-winning master chef. He is also the President and Executive Chef at The Art of Catering Inc. and is the author of “The Art of Cooking: Soul of The Caribbean”. Chef Selwyn can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone — (905) 619-1059.