By Chef Selwyn Richards
What can be wrong when you have a dish of hot cobbler and warm cream in front of you? With the availability of frozen fruit, you can make any cobbler anytime you want!
16 ounces of frozen strawberries, whole or halved
16 ounces of frozen rhubarb
1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons of sugar
6 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon of cornstarch
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1. Set the frozen fruit out to thaw.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Coat an 8 inch square baking pan with non-stick spray or grease and lightly flour the pan.
4. In a large bowl, combine the fruit with 1 cup of sugar, 2 Tablespoons of butter, the cornstarch and vanilla. Blend well. Pour into your prepared baking pan.
5. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, the egg, salt, 3 Tablespoons of sugar and the remaining butter.
6. Mix until crumbly (I like to cut it with 2 knives) and sprinkle over the fruit.
7. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown.
8. Serve warm with evaporated milk or ice cream.
Selwyn Richards is an award-winning master chef. He is also the President and Executive Chef at The Art of Catering Inc. and is the author of “The Art of Cooking: Soul of The Caribbean”. Chef Selwyn can be reached at: email@example.com or by phone — (905) 619-1059.