KINGSTON, Jamaica (Wednesday, December 23, 2020) — As citizens prepare for the festive season, the Jamaica Fire Brigade (JFB) is reminding citizens that hand sanitisers should not be used near open flames, as they are flammable.
“Recommended sanitisers are usually 70 percent alcohol and alcohol is a highly flammable chemical. Therefore, sanitisers are not suited for the kitchen or environments, where there are open flames,” Officer in Charge of the Fire Prevention Division and Public Relations Officer at the Jamaica Fire Brigade, Emeleo Ebanks, advised, during a recent JIS Think Tank event.
Ebanks explained that to avoid being burnt, persons should ensure that they are not near any open flames, while applying sanitisers.
He also urged parents to warn their children of this possible fire hazard.
“Fire and life safety should be a high priority for all citizens, and as such, we are urging persons to take the necessary precaution to protect themselves, their loved ones and their property,” the Officer in Charge said.
Meanwhile, the JFB is also encouraging citizens to use the correct electrical outlets for appliances, to avoid starting electrical fires.
“Appliances, with short cords, should not be plugged into extension cords. There is a reason why manufacturers make appliances, such as blenders, with a short cord, and this is because they should be plugged directly into an electrical outlet,” Ebanks noted.
He explained that such appliances pull a lot of electrical energy in a short space of time, and the extension cord may not be able to supply that amount of energy at the required speed.
“One of the ways to know if your extension cord is being overused, is by feeling the temperature of it using the back of your hand. If the extension cord is warm that is an indication that it should be plugged out,” Ebanks said.
He pointed out that electrical issues are the most common causes of fires in Jamaica.