By Chef Selwyn Richards
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon onion, chopped fine
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, snipped
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 ounce) can no salt stewed tomatoes, do not drain
1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
1 (9 ounce) package frozen Italian green beans
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 cups water
1. Break the egg into a large mixing bowl and beat slightly.
2. Add the bread crumbs, cheese and onion to the egg. Stir slightly to combine.
3. Sprinkle in the parsley, garlic powder and cayenne pepper being sure to mix well to incorporate.
4. Place the ground beef into the bowl and mix with your hands until all the ingredients are incorporated throughout the beef.
5. Roll the meat mixture into meatballs.
6. Place the oven temperature on 375 degrees and allow the oven to heat up.
7. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with a non-stick cooking spray.
8. Place the meatballs into the prepared dish.
9. Place in the oven for 18 minutes or until the meat is browned completely through.
10. Drain the fat off completely and set aside.
11. Place the garbanzo beans in a large saucepan.
12. Add the tomatoes, beef broth, green beans, mushrooms and sprinkle all with the Italian seasoning.
13. Pour in the 2 cups of water.
14. Place the saucepan over medium high heat and bring the water to a steady boil.
15. Reduce the heat to low, cover and continue cooking 12 minutes.
16. Add the meatballs to the sauce pan and cook an additional 8 minutes or until the meatballs are heated through.
Selwyn Richards is an award-winning master chef. He is also the President and Executive Chef at The Art of Catering Inc. and is the author of “The Art of Cooking: Soul of The Caribbean”. Chef Selwyn can be reached at: email@example.com or by phone — (905) 619-1059.