By Chef Selwyn Richards
2 large onions
4 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 (16 ounce) cans chili beans in sauce
2 (16 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained
2 (16 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
2 (14 ounce) cans vegetable (or chicken) broth
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Chop onions, garlic and tomatoes.
2. In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, sauté the onions and garlic in the vegetable oil until tender.
3. Add the remaining ingredients.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove the lid and simmer for another 20 minutes.
6. Garnish with shredded cheese (optional)
Selwyn Richards is an award-winning master chef. He is also the President and Executive Chef at The Art of Catering Inc. and is the author of “The Art of Cooking: Soul of The Caribbean”. Chef Selwyn can be reached at: email@example.com or by phone — (905) 619-1059.