By Chef Selwyn Richards
Contributing Culinary Specialist
Ingredients for the main filling
1 14-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup corn kernels, drained and rinsed
1 14-ounce can of chopped tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 tablespoon olive oil
Ingredients for the salsa
1 small onion, finely sliced
2 tomatoes, finely diced
1 handful of chopped fresh cilantro (also known as coriander)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of half a lime
Salt and pepper
Ingredients for the guacamole
1 ripe avocado
2 ounces of low-fat plain yogurt
Juice of 1 lime
6 corn tortillas
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick pan.
- Add the garlic and sauté for approximately 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas, corn, chopped tomatoes, cumin and paprika.
- Mix well and simmer gently for approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- While that’s cooking, make the salsa.
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place in refrigerator for flavors to absorb.
*Note: If you like it hot, add a few jalapenos or 1/2 seeded and finely sliced red chili to the salsa.
- Once your chickpea mixture is finished cooking and the salsa is done, make the guacamole (right before serving).
- Mix guacamole ingredients in a bowl.
- Crush with fork until light and creamy.
- Gently heat the corn tortillas in a hot oven for approximately 1 minute.
- Divide the chickpea mixture between the tortillas.
- Top each tortilla with a little salsa and guacamole.
- You can also add a dollop of sour cream or low-fat plain yogurt.
- Roll up and serve immediately.
Selwyn Richards is an award-winning master chef. He is also the President and Executive Chef at The Art of Catering Inc. and is the author of “The Art of Cooking: Soul of The Caribbean”. Chef Selwyn can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone — (905) 619-1059.