GEORGETOWN, Guyana, March 31, 2020 (CMC) – Guyana has recorded its second death from the coronavirus (COVID-19), as health officials confirmed, today, that there were now 12 positive cases of the virus in the country.
The Ministry of Public Health confirmed that a 38-year-old man died at the Coronavirus Intensive Care Unit, today, and was one of the two persons, who was recently moved to the unit, after testing positive for the virus. He is reported to have had underlying medical conditions.
Deputy-Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Karen Boyle, speaking at the daily COVID-19 briefing, told reporters that there is now only one patient in that unit and the other nine cases are in isolation at a medical facility. She did not provide details of the additional cases.
She reported that 10 of the positive cases were in Region Four, which includes the capital, while there were single cases in Region Three and Region Six.
Dr. Boyle added that a total of 52 people had been tested and another 43 are in institutional quarantine, while dozens more are on home-quarantine.
The Deputy Chief Medical Officer also reported that another man, who died over the weekend, at the West Demerara Hospital, did not die from COVID-19, even though he had tested positive for the virus.
She said he died from another condition, and persons should be careful with spreading fake news.
The Public Health Ministry said it was urging people, again, to heed the various health advisories and observe the correct hygiene measures and precautions.
It is also asking citizens to always practice social-distancing in the workplace, public spaces, and while using public transportation, to reduce the spread of the coronavirus disease.