GEORGETOWN, Guyana, June 3, 2020 (CMC) – Guyana has extended the State of Emergency (SOE) — put in place as part of the efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) — to June 17, even as the country said it had not recorded any new case of the virus that has killed 12 people, here.
The National COVID-19 Task Force (NCTF), headed by Joseph Harmon, its Chief Executive Officer (CEO), said that the 6.00 pm to 6.00 am (local time) curfew will remain in effect, until the new date.
In addition, the SOE measures also put a restriction on: visitations; specific working hours, allotted to essential services personnel; preferential treatment for healthcare workers; social distancing and physical distancing protocols; religious worship; and domestic travel.
The measures state that persons, failing to comply with these measures, will be committing an offence, under the Public Health Ordinance, and is liable, on summary conviction, to a fine.
“As such, members of the public have been cautioned to comply with the curfew and emergency measures that were implemented to prevent the spread of COVID-19,” the Task Force urged.
The Ministry of Public Health announced that, as of June 1, there were no new coronavirus cases, with the total number of confirmed cases, being 153.
Health authorities said that 14 more tests were conducted, within the last 24 hours, taking the total number of tests done, to 1,672; with the number of negative cases being 1,519.
“Citizens are asked to always practice social distancing in the workplace, public spaces, and while using public transportation, to reduce the spread of the coronavirus disease. They are also reminded to practise frequent hand washing/sanitising, and to always wear a face mask, if they have to go out,” the Ministry said.
Meanwhile, the NCTF said that all the stranded nationals, who are due to return here, during the second week of June, will all be subjected to a mandatory, seven-day quarantine at their homes.
“Under strict instructions, the returning nationals will not be permitted to leave their homes, during the seven days, except to seek emergency medical services. Further, none of them will be placed into government institutions, upon landing in Guyana,” the authorities said in a statement.
The NCTF said that it will only grant re-entry for citizens, who test negative for the deadly coronavirus. Last month, the NCTF approved controlled re-entry for approximately 300 stranded citizens, abroad.
NCTF added that the first set of stranded citizens will arrive, here, from Barbados, this weekend, followed, a week later, by repatriating citizens from North America.