NC – Careful planning is the key to successful, on-time shipping during the busiest time of the year, no matter whether you’re shipping across Canada or around the world.
“We’re in the business of delivering promises,” says Jim MacIntosh, vice president of operations at a leading freight, parcel and logistics solutions provider, Purolator. “We handle and deliver more than a million shipments every day, so we encourage our customers to send their shipments early – and we stress the importance of proper packaging to help avoid any damage or breakage.”
Here are a few packaging tips for your shipments:
- Avoid using previously used boxes. They lose strength over time and are unlikely to provide adequate protection throughout the distribution process. MacIntosh reminds us that new and durable shipping boxes can be purchased from Purolator Shipping Centres, or from office supply stores.
- Place precious cargo in the centre of a box. Make sure all items fit well and are not protruding or compressed within the box.
- Wrap all items individually using appropriate packing materials, such as bubble wrap, foam peanuts or air pillows. These materials should be at least three inches thick. For items with sharp edges, or fragile items like electronics, add cardboard inserts to protect the edges. Do not use newspapers, twine or tissue paper for cushioning; they do not offer any protection.
- Do not apply glue, masking tape, cellophane tape or opaque tape to seal your boxes. These materials lack strength to keep the package intact. Instead, use three-inch-wide plastic, pressure-sensitive tape to close all shipping boxes, making sure all edge seams are taped.
- Be sure to stick the shipping label on the largest, flattest surface of the shipping box. Then double-check the accuracy of the sender and receiver information on the label. When necessary, affix a label to indicate that a glass, liquid or heavy-weight object is enclosed. Lastly, retain a copy of your package identification number (PIN) for easy tracking of your shipment.
- Choose a reliable shipper and select one that will give you an option to use online services or schedule a pickup. Alternatively, drop off your shipments to one of your shipping company locations or a drop box.
More information is available online at purolator.com.