The warm weather is upon us, and what better way to start the season than with a summertime-suitable recipe? We may live in Canada, but there’s no reason why a well-stocked pantry can’t be the gateway to an easy-to-make, Mexican-inspired dish. With pantry staples such as Minute Rice Basmati Rice on hand, you’re already a third of the way to a great taco bowl – and in a half hour. Now that’s a #weekdaywin.
Fish Taco Bowl
• 2 pouches (125 g each) Minute Rice Basmati Rice
• 1 lb (500 g) fish fillets (such as tilapia, haddock or cod), cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) Cajun seasoning
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
• 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
• 1 pkg (340 g) coleslaw mix
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) prepared coleslaw dressing
• Lime wedges
• 1/3 cup (75 mL) tomato salsa (optional)
• 1/3 cup (75 mL) guacamole (optional)
Step 1: Cook rice according to package directions.
Step 2: Meanwhile, toss fish with Cajun seasoning and salt. In large, nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat; cook fish in batches, adding more oil as needed, for 2 or 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Toss coleslaw with dressing.
Step 3: Divide rice evenly among 4 shallow bowls. Top with some of the coleslaw, fish and lime wedge. Serve with salsa and guacamole (if using).
Nutrition Facts. Per 1/4 recipe: Calories 360, Fat 15g, Cholesterol 50mg, Sodium 680mg, Carbohydrate 30g, Fibre 3g, Sugars 3g, Protein 26g
For simple meal ideas and inspiration, visit Thirdoftheway.ca.