By Chef Selwyn Richards
3 pounds freshly picked asparagus, trimmed
1 bunch green onions
3 cups fresh small cucumbers, scrubbed clean
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley
1 Tablespoon fresh chervil
1 Tablespoon fresh chives
1 Tablespoon fresh mint
2 teaspoons fresh tarragon
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup light olive oil
1. Fill a large pot with water and salt and bring to a rapid boil.
2. Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath in a large bowl with ice and water and set in sink.
3. When water boils, quickly cook asparagus until just crisp-tender, only about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove and quickly put in ice bath to cool and stop cooking.
4. Drain well and set aside.
5. Chop green onions and put in large bowl.
6. Scrub cucumbers, trim ends, cut lengthwise, then slice thin and add to bowl with onions.
7. Add all the fresh herbs to the bowl and mix together well; keep cool.
8. Make dressing by whisking together the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, mustard, salt, and black pepper, then slowly start streaming in oil, whisking steadily, until dressing is creamy.
9. Pour dressing into onion cucumber bowl and toss to combine.
10. Arrange the asparagus on salad plates and spoon the dressed onion cucumber mixture over the top.
11. Taste and salt if desired.
Selwyn Richards is an award-winning master chef. He is also the President and Executive Chef at The Art of Catering Inc. and is the author of “The Art of Cooking: Soul of The Caribbean”. Chef Selwyn can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone — (905) 619-1059.