By Chef Selwyn Richards
1 cup pumpkin puree (unsweetened)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups cornmeal
1 egg, beaten slightly
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons shortening (melted)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray 9 inch cake pan or cast iron skillet with non-stick oil.
2. Put pumpkin and dry ingredients in big bowl and mix until combined.
3. Add beaten egg and buttermilk, stirring to combine.
4. Add melted shortening and stir.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until browned around the edges.
Selwyn Richards is an award-winning master chef. He is also the President and Executive Chef at The Art of Catering Inc. and is the author of “The Art of Cooking: Soul of The Caribbean”. Chef Selwyn can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone — (905) 619-1059.