By Ettie Rutherford
Recently, I was at my physiotherapist’s clinic, when a young woman reminded me that some time ago, I had encouraged her to move forward and improve her education. She took my advice and was happy to report that she had graduated in her chosen profession.
I was overwhelmed, because I did not remember our previous talks. This young mother was decisive, strategic and disciplined; and yearning to improve her life, coupled with my encouragement, she took action .
Too often, because of past experiences, fear prevents us from making decisions to activate personal life changes. These suggestions will assist you to step into your new story:
- Acknowledge that you are the only one who has the power to change your life.
- Set a timeline for moving forward….practical step-by step actions.
- Clarify specific actions that must be taken.
- Get assistance from those who have a proven record of overcoming difficulties.
- Celebrate simple blessings.
Taking Action Brings Success!
Are you a person who says, “I think I will”, “I am going to” or “I wish I could”? Those are words which will prevent you from realizing your dreams.
Much too often people sabotage their goals because they voice their dreams, but take no action to achieve what they want. Wishing, without working at your endeavor, is a sure way to be the gerbil in the cage…always moving, but getting nowhere.
It is so much more rewarding to work at achieving our goals, rather than impressing others with lofty words about what our hopes are. However, for many people it is difficult to cross the bridge from fantasizing to working for what they want to achieve.
- They might be too attached to their comfort zone. Accept that life is not about comfort.
- Past experiences might have instilled fear. Overcome fear with faith.
- Some are suffering from “burn-out”. Stop, and smell the roses. Nature is full of stress busters.
- For many there is a lack of uplifting activities. Read! Paint! Write! Help someone in need!
- Uncertainty might cause doubt. Clarifying goals and setting timelines are roads to success.
Good luck. This is a good time to start working on your next venture.
Award-winning Ettie Rutherford, B.Ed, Dip.Ed, M.Ed, is an educator, life coach, consultant and author of “Why Perch Like A Chick When You Can Soar Like An Eagle?”. An accomplished public speaker, Ettie is the Founder and CEO of Women Are Worthy, which provides step-by-step strategies for women to achieve their goals, with a minimum amount of stress. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org