By Chef Selwyn Richards
1 whole fresh turkey, 10 to 14 pounds
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 medium onions, roughly chopped
3 carrots, roughly chopped
3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves, crushed
1. Rinse the turkey with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
2. Sprinkle the salt and pepper all over the turkey.
3. In a mixing bowl toss together the onions, carrots, celery, rosemary, thyme and bay leaves.
4. Stuff this mixture inside the turkey.
5. Bring the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
6. Rub the turkey with olive oil under the skin.
7. Tie back the wings.
8. Place the turkey in a large roasting pan.
9. Roast 3 1/2 hours being sure to baste the turkey with the juices during the roasting time.
10. The turkey should read 170 degrees F on a meat thermometer when done and the juices should run clear when pricked with a fork.
11. Remove the turkey from the oven and allow it to stand 30 minutes to finish cooking.
12. Temperature should reach 180 degrees F.
13. Remove the stuffing from the bird and discard before carving.
Selwyn Richards is an award-winning master chef. He is also the President and Executive Chef at The Art of Catering Inc. and is the author of “The Art of Cooking: Soul of The Caribbean”. Chef Selwyn can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone — (905) 619-1059.