By Chef Selwyn Richards
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
1 pound boneless flank steak, cut into small chunks
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped red onion
8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
3 cups beef broth
4 teaspoons tomato paste
3-4 large thyme sprigs
1 large bay leaf
1 pound baby white potatoes, unpeeled, cut in quarters
8 ounces baby carrots
4 teaspoons finely chopped parsley.
1. In a heavy zip lock bag place the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
2. Close and shake to incorporate all ingredients together.
3. Add meat to bag and shake to completely coat the meat.
4. Add 2 teaspoons of oil to a large Dutch oven.
5. Heat over high heat until oil is hot.
6. Add meat and brown about 3 minutes per side.
7. Remove meat.
8. Add onions and mushrooms to oil.
9. Cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
10. Add broth, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
11. Whisk until all ingredients are combined.
12. On medium high heat bring mixture to a boil.
13. When it begins to boil add bay leaf and thyme.
14. Continue boiling until it becomes a rapid boil.
15. Add potatoes, carrots and meat to boiling liquid.
16. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer approximate 15 minutes.
17. Remove bay leaf and thyme before serving.
Selwyn Richards is an award-winning master chef. He is also the President and Executive Chef at The Art of Catering Inc. and is the author of “The Art of Cooking: Soul of The Caribbean”. Chef Selwyn can be reached at: email@example.com or by phone — (905) 619-1059.